Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

The Preacher and the Teenager

This is a short story I wrote recently. I appreciate any feedback and/or comments. I hope you like it. :)    

 The preacher closed his Bible and began giving his closing remarks. He looked out through the crowd gathered in church that morning. His eyes again rested on that girl. Normally she paid attention to what he was saying up there, but today she had been texting throughout the entire sermon. As he finished up and sat down in his usual seat, he was still thinking about her. He shook his head. Teenagers. What was to be done with them? He was going to have to have a talk with her now.

    Church ended, and he quickly made his way to her pew. He grabbed her elbow and pulled her to the side.

     “Elizabeth, I need to talk to you,” he said.

     “Okay… what’s up?” He could tell she was slightly puzzled.

     “Well, when I’m preaching, I can see everyone. A lot of people forget that. They think they can do things secretly, and no one will know. But God knows, and more often than not, I do too,” he paused for a breath. She was silent. He tried again.

     “Look Elizabeth, I saw you texting during church today. I know that you texted throughout the entire sermon, and you probably can’t remember a single point from my message.” He fixed her with a look that he hoped would make her feel remorseful.

     But to his surprise all she said, in a very quiet voice, was “You’re right.” They stared at each other for a bit longer, waiting.

     “I really need to go now,” she said and walked away, pulling out her cell phone again.

     To say the least, he was very surprised she hadn’t tried to defend herself or argue. She didn’t even seem sorry. She probably didn’t even care. He went on his way, wondering what good teenagers even were.

*******************************************************************
     The next Sunday the preacher noticed with a smug smile that Elizabeth didn’t pull out her phone even once during church. He also saw that she had brought a friend with her. Probably another rebellious teenager, he thought. But he decided to be nice and went to introduce himself, welcome her, and ask what had brought her there.

     He was shocked at what he heard.

     “I am so thankful to be here today sir. You see, last Sunday I was going to kill myself. I didn’t think I had anything worth living for. I had the gun to my head.” Tears filled the young woman’s eyes.

    “But then my cell phone went off. Elizabeth had texted me. Just to say hi and that she loved me. And I couldn’t help replying. Because it had been a long time since someone had said that to me. So we texted for hours, and she told me of this Jesus who loves me too. And well… that stopped me. So now I’m here to hear more about this Jesus. And I have. And I realized he loves me more than any human ever could. And I want to love Him too.”

     When everyone had left church that day, the preacher was still there. He knelt on his knees near the front row. And there he prayed that God would forgive his foolishness, as tears filled his own eyes.
*******************************************************************

     ‘Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?’ –James 2:2-4

      “Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.” -1 Timothy 4:12

~Brooke

5 comments:

  1. Hello just wanted to let you know that I am visiting from the Raising Homemakers link and I found your blog there. I love this post and if you don't mine I would love to post it on my forum but I will make sure I link back to you so that others can visit your wonderful blog also.This story was so wonderful it lets you know that no matter how young or old a person my be they still can teach the love of God....

    ReplyDelete
  2. DeNiece,

    Thank you so much! I would be honored if you would post it- if you just please wouldn't mind putting my name with it (to show that I'm the author) and linking back here, that would be great.
    Thanks for visiting!

    In God's love,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke I did post your name and I linked it back to you so that others may visit your blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry I forgot to leave the place were I posted your wonderful post: I posted on my blog at http://organizedhomemakingforchrist.blogspot.com/2011/07/lovely-story-that-really-touchs-your.html
    and at the Forum http://forums.sugarpiefarmhouse.com/index.php?showtopic=6826

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! Please be respectful. =)