Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

I Don't Fit in a Box

This is a repost of something I wrote on Becoming Abigail. Enjoy. :)


I was thinking about the term "stay-at-home-daughter." I'm not sure how much I really like this term. Do I consider myself a stay-at-home-daughter? Yes. But I still don't really like the term. ;) You see, that term itself can carry a sort of stigma. Not that I'm saying it always does. But it can. Many times, when you think of the term stay-at-home-daughter, you think of a young woman who has graduated high school but still lives at home, has many siblings, wears a lot of skirts and dresses, etc. I have a feeling that this picture is not necessarily true for many SAHDs, including me. Not that there is anything wrong with that picture, but no one wants to be mistaken for something they are not. It is always a dangerous thing when anyone tries to make a generalization of anything, especially people. People were not made to fit into boxes. You don't fit in a box. I don't fit in box. God created each of us differently, and in different situations. But whatever situation you are in, whether many siblings or few, whether you wear dresses or jeans, whether you have many children or only 1, those things don't matter. What matters is that you do what God has called you to do.

I just wanted to say I'm not your "average" stay-at-home-daughter. I wear jeans and dresses. I plan on staying at home until I'm married. I only have 1 sibling. I plan on homeschooling my future children. I'm staying pure until marriage. I'm saving my first kiss for my wedding day. I believe in courtship. I'm currently enrolled in online school. I'm a writer, a musician, a martial artist, a sister, a daughter, a student, a teacher, a Christian, and yes, even a stay-at-home-daughter. But I don't fit in a box.

2 comments:

  1. I know this post was written a long time ago, but I just found your blog and LOVE this post!
    It's amazing how many people try to put me and my family in a box as well. Even though my family is large (I have 11 siblings!). We don't often wear skirts, simply because it doesn't pertain to our lifestyle (we're farmers) and also because my daddy personally prefers us to wear jeans (wrote a post on that issue when I first started my blog).
    It's so true that every family, and every person is different. And we are all going to have different beliefs!
    Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! I appreciate your comments!

    In Christ,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! Please be respectful. =)